Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back in the SSISaddle

Testing…

Testing…

Is this thing on?

Although I still get the occasional comment on older blog posts, I assume that pretty much nobody subscribes to my blog anymore for SSIS information. When I joined Microsoft Learning in October 2008, the SQL/BI/SSIS side of my life got pushed to the side. I kept working with the tools, but it was no longer a core part of my job, and one of the things I largely gave up on blogging and related technical community efforts. It wasn’t a change I wanted to make, but I needed to ensure that I rocked my new job as much as possible. The end result was that over the last 30 months I’ve posted fewer than ten SSIS-related posts.[1]

This will now change.

This week I joined the SQL Server Integration Services team as a Senior Program Manager.[2]

In the months leading up to the SQL Server “Denali” release, I hope to blog regularly on “Denali”-related features, enhancements and techniques. The “Denali” release is a major release for SSIS, with a ton of exciting new capabilities for new users and seasoned SSIS professionals alike.[3] If you are using SSIS already, SSIS in “Denali” is going to make your life easier in many ways. If you’re just starting off with SSIS, the “Denali” release will ease your learning curve, and help you swear less. In short, I’ll have a lot to blog about.

With this said, it may still be a few weeks before I post again. Not only will I be getting up to speed on my new team and my new role, I will also be relocating my family from New York to Redmond.[4] The relocation will be consuming most or all of my free time for the next few weeks, but once I’m settled in you should expect to hear from me more often.

It’s good to be back.

Back in the SSISaddle indeed.

[1] And that I rocked the new job pretty darned hard, but that’s a longer story. Ask your friendly neighborhood Microsoft Certified Trainer.

[2] I wish you could see the smile on my face as I typed that sentence.

[3] If you want an overview of these new things, please be sure to download and view Matt Masson’s presentation from TechEd North America. We’ll have more announcements coming closer to release, but this session is more than enough to whet your appetite.

[4] I have two children, two cats and one wife, and the effort and stress of moving the whole family is staggering. I thought I knew what I was getting into, but boy was I wrong.

5 comments:

Marco T said...

Guys and Gals, believe me, e really rocked, quality went up, and most of the MCT’s I know are more than satisfied with his performance! Thanks again Matthew !!

Marco

Eric Wisdahl said...

That is awesome Matthew! Glad to hear you'll be a part of the SSIS team. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and welcome back!

Darren Gosbell said...

Congratulations Matthew, good to see you back in the thick of things!

Matthew Roche said...

Thanks guys, both for the welcome and for the vote of confidence. Please be certain to also post a comment here when you get sick of me. ;-)